Tuesday, June 25, 2013

My library


I have often been asked to recommend books on yoga, cooking and Ayurveda. Here are some of my favourites to start with. I adore cookbooks - there are so many I could put on this list, but instead I've included more informative books on food ideas as opposed to recipes only.

I will update this list when I find a new gem.

Food

This is my go to book for traditional methods of food. Sally Fallon is the guru! She has so much knowledge in this area. I am constantly going back to this book - It is my current favourite. It's a recipe book with loads of information on food.

I read this book a long time ago and it really struck a cord with me. Michael Pollan is the most thought provoking food writer.

In this book Michael Pollan traces back to the source of his food. He looks at factory farms and processed food, but also at organic farms and how some of them are simply another industrial farm. You will love the chapter on Joel Salatin's Polyface farm.

Sandor Katz is the king of fermentation. This is his latest book which goes into great detail about fermentation. His earlier book Wild Fermentation is also terrific and possibly a little less daunting if you are only starting to ferment your own food.

Yoga

This is the yogis bible. It includes images of Iyengar and his students performing all the asanas. It gives instruction, benefits of the postures and some sequences.

As the title suggests, this book is a useful guide to asana (postures), pranayama (breathing), mudras (gestures) and Banda (energy locks). It also included kriyas and shatkarmas which are yogic cleansing techniques.

This one is a little harder to read but a great text. It includes illustrations of asanas but goes beyond the physical to how yoga can awaken vital energies.

Donna is another yogi you need to learn from. This book is all about breathing and how it can improve your physical and mental health.

While this is written with women's health in mind, it is helpful for everyone. Our bodies have different needs for different times. This book shows what is helpful and what to avoid.

Ayurveda

Nadia and Kester Marshall own and operate The Mudita Institute in Byron. This book explains Ayurveda in easy to understand terms. It's set out into a course to help you gradually make changes to your lifestyle. I highly recommend!

I got so much out of this book. Dr Welch has studied Ayurveda and Chinese medicine, and combines this knowledge with Western science. She focuses on women's health and shows how important balanced hormones are to your overall health. This book provides lifestyle changes to make to get your body back in balance naturally.

Meditation

This best seller on spiritual enlightenment. This book is about being present, or living in the now. Read it!

This is very easy to read and has some skills you can put into practice. It is a good place to start with meditation. It also comes with a CD of guided meditations.

Children's meditation and mindfulness

I took part in a workshop Janet held some time ago. She is so inspirational!

I am reading this now. I am becoming passionate about teaching meditation and mindfulness to children...